Sunday, July 19, 2009

Midge Journal: Summer Journal




Friday: After much consderation and a pint of Ben & Jerry's 'Chunky Monkey' I broke down and went to the "Mango Shack" Bar to see my old college sweetheart, Marty and his partner in music Lil'Kelly perform. It was an awful experience. Turns out Lil'Kelly is the Lil'Kelly I had in my "Digs 101" class last fall semester! Cute kid, sings well, plays a hell of a ukulele, but she can't 'dig' to save her life! She will never advance in archaeology. Martie was, well, Martie. When I went off for a summer in Greece to view antiquities Martie met and married a business major. I never did understand what he saw in her. And now, Martie is touring the tri-state area playing gigs with Lil'Kelly when he's not watching his triplet daughters. His wife is the CEO of a large cosmetics corporation. Sigh.
Saturday: Did laundry and deep conditioned my hair. Need to get those pesky split ends trimmed off, but not today. I'll give myself a pedicure after a hot bath and get to bed early.
Sunday: Went out to Brunch with Barbie and Babs. They got a good chuckle over my seeing Martie play at the 'Mango Shack' Friday night. Hefers! We went to the new Italian place over on Green Street. Barbie had Veal Piccata and a plate of tiramisu for dessert. Bab had an Italian steak salad loaded with rotini and assorted olives and cheeses and eggplant and so many hot peppers I thought she'd explode! I had the Greens and chicken. We drank two bottles of some Italian red whose label had a knight on a big white horse.
Monday: Got up early. 6:30. Had a banana smoothie, dropped Pierette off at 'doggie daycare' and headed to the gym. That cute yoga instructor is teaching the 7:30 class. Ofcourse Barbie and Babs arrived just after the session started. No repect for the mans' genius. The positions he can get into and stay in. Wow! Took a 5 mile jog afterward and then off to the library for some research in the periodicals. Prep work for fall classes. Picked Pierette up at the 'doggie daycare' and got home around 3pm. Pierette and I took a walk and then I made a salad and reviewed my notes for earlier that day. Got ready for bed and watched TCM all evening.
Tuesday: Got up at 6:30. Had a banana smoothie. Took Pierette for an hour walk and then jogged 5 miles. Made an appointment to have my split ends trimmed. Took a hot bath and got dressed and got my split ends trimmed. Raphael Garcia Buendia, a graduate assistant in the philosophy department called and invited me to a film at the museum tonight at 8pm. I said 'sure'. We got aquainted at a cocktail party spring semester. Cute guy. Waaay too young for me of course, but very cute and latin with a great sense of humor. Put on a summer sundress and high heels that show off the pedicure I spent hours on Saturday night. I skipped dinner so that I wouldn't have that stomach bulge and then my gut growled all through the movie. It was a Bergman film and I was sooooooooooooooooooooooooo embarassed. Afterward we went to a little cafe around the corner from the museum and had a little snack. Got home around midnight. What a charmer. He insisted on walking Pierette with me down to the corner since it was so late and she needed to go out. I sent him on his way as soon as we got back.
Wednesday: Got up at 6:30. Had a double espresso. Took Pierette to 'doggie daycare'. Got to the gym and attended the 7:30 yoga session. The cute instructor was out sick. We had Helga, the instructor from hell instead!!! Barbie and Babs arrived late as usual. Helga did not appreciate that and made the entire class work exclusively on 'core' positions for the next hour.
Grabbed a banana smoothie at the gym and then worked out with weights for an hour. Jogged 3 miles. Drove across town to do some shopping. Found some cute outfits at the mall for my classes fall semester. Picked up Pierette from 'doggie daycare'. Got home around 3pm, took Pierette for an hour walk. Had pasta with tilapia for dinner. Sat down with the new Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum novel, "Finger Lickin' Fifteen". Got to sleep around 9:30.
Thursday: Got up at 6:30. Had a mango smoothie. Took Pierette for an hour walk. Went jogging with Barbie and Babs. They had McDonald's for breakfast and couldn't keep up. Made a big pot of coffee when we got back to my apartment and we all put on clay masks and did our nails. Raphael called while the girls were there. They giggled and made googly eyes and whispered back and forth while we tried to have a phone conversation. He invited me to a cocktail party at some professor in the language studies departments house. I am not sure I have met the man? The girls left and I took a long hot bath and shaved my legs. Took Pierette for an hour walk. Took a nap when I got home so I would be rested for the party. Got up around 4:30 pm. Had a banana smoothie and got washed and dressed for the party. Put on a summery skirt and blouse and sandals. Raphael was cuter than ever in a wildly colorful tropical themed shirt and slacks. We arrived on time and enjoyed wines and mixed cocktails, crudites, appetizers, laughs, mingling and meeting new people. Got back to my place around 10pm. I offered him a glass of wine and we walked Pierette to the corner. I showed him the door around 11pm.














1 comment:

The Mighty Kat said...

That's a lot of banana smoothies! How did you take those interesting pictures?